Turquoise has been mined in the Cerrillos Hills for a millennium
The property dates back to the 1890's when Cerrillos, once considered as a possible capitol of New Mexico, was a bustling mining town, serving areas like Dolores and Madrid and the nearby smelting town of Waldo. The original building housed two side by side saloons, eventually merging as one large saloon. Over time it became a general store and a dry goods store. During the 1920's there was a tunnel under First Street allowing a flow of goods (liquor) between these buildings and a store across the street. In the 1950's the Mitchell family opened an antique and collectibles store . The Whatnot Shop, which filled the entire premises, served locals and visitors for an impressive 50 plus years.